Applies whenever SMIL 2.0 player is available
This technique relates to:
- Success Criterion 1.2.3: Audio Description or Media Alternative (Prerecorded) (Sufficient as a way to meet G173: Providing a version of a movie with audio descriptions)
- Success Criterion 1.2.5: Audio Description (Prerecorded) (Sufficient as a way to meet G173: Providing a version of a movie with audio descriptions)
The objective of this technique is to provide a way for people who are blind or otherwise have trouble seeing the video in audio-visual material to be able to access the material. With this technique a description of the video is provided via audio description that will fit into the gaps in the dialogue in the audio-visual material.
Example 1: SMIL 2.0 audio description sample for RealMedia player
<smil xmlns="https://www.w3.org/2001/SMIL20/Language"> <head> <layout> <root-layout backgroundColor="black" height="266" width="320"/> <region id="video" backgroundColor="black" top="26" left="0" height="144" width="320"/> </layout> </head> <body> <par> <video src="salesdemo.mpg" region="video" title="Sales Demo" alt="Sales Demo"/> <audio src="salesdemo_ad.mp3" begin="33.71s" title="audio description" alt="Sales Demo Audio Description"/> </par> </body> </smil>
The example shows a <par> segment containing an <audio> and a <video> tag. The audio stream is not started immediately.
Resources are for information purposes only, no endorsement implied.
- Find method for turning on audio description from content/player (unless it is always played by default)
- Play file with audio description
- Check whether audio description is played
- #3 is true